- How to name your blog--use keywords in your blog URL, which helps with search engine traffic. Be specific. Do not name your crafting blog "good tips" (tips about WHAT?) or if your blog is about salmon fishing, do not name it "my favorite pastime." (While salmon fishing very well may be your favorite pastime, how will search engines and readers know that your blog is about salmon fishing?)
- How to get your own domain name--right here at Blogger for only $10.00 for one year. Select auto renew so that you always keep this domain name.
- How to choose a template--if you signed up with a blogspot url, as part of that process, you would have been taken to the template area at Blogger. If you've gotten a domain name and now want to choose a template, we will cover that process, in depth, in a future article.
- How to choose a background--many Blogger bloggers are unaware that there is an incredible array of backgrounds that can be used in concert with their chosen template.
- How to add sidebars--(Blogger now offers multiple column templates). This is a real plus if you are thinking monetization down the road and want areas where you can display advertising.
- How to create static pages at the top or on the side of your blog.
- How to embed a video into your posts and how to size it to fit--you may have figured out how to add a video by means of the video button seen in your online editor but do not have the foggiest as to how to size your video once you've installed it in a blog post. Oftentimes, a video will exceed your post margins. How to fix this? I'll include instructions in a future article.
We'll walk through the Blogger Design tabs:
- Posting--New Post, Edit Posts, Edit Pages
- Comments--Published, Awaiting Moderation, Spam
- Settings--Basic, Publishing, Formatting, Comments, Archiving, Site Feed, Email & Mobile, Open ID, Permissions
- Design--Page Elements, Edit HTML, Template Designer
- Stats--Overview, Posts, Traffic Sources, Audience
Add a Gadget
You'll learn how to use the handy Add a Gadget feature to include the following elements:
- Follow by Email
- Popular Posts
- Blog Stats
- Static Pages
- Search Box
- Video Bar
- Blog List
- Link List
- Subscription Links
- Blog Archive
- Page Header
I'll also include free resources so that you can take your blog to the next level.
Please rate this page by clicking the stars below. Thank you!